Friday, May 24, 2013

Lessons from being an independent fitness instructor

As time passes I become more and more clear just how special being an independent instructor is.  When I worked in a gym, it was all about hoping that I impressed enough members to choose my class.  My job was to show up and wow the people.   At the first facility in which I taught, I learned how to teach.  I went from zero fans to MANY fans of my classes.

Teaching at the second facility was a very different game because there was lots of pressure to have at least a certain number of people in the room and to increase numbers so that the gym made money.  So I treated my classes as if I owned them.  I cared deeply for my classes and did all I could to be an instructor who people chose regularly as part of their gym routine.  I also became super powerful at teaching due to attending lots of trainings and applying what I learned in my classes.

The crazy thing is that I felt like I had a ceiling over my head.  I worked at the will of the gym owners and so no matter how many creative ideas I had, I never felt like I could make any of them happen in the gym without a hassle and with little profit.  BUT, it was there that I became masterful at teaching as well as super resourceful at learning how to teach better and better with each passing year.  The proof was in having jammed packed classes and a fan base that was truly humbling.

So with that I decided to go independent and at least give myself a chance to create something great that belonged to me.  I knew that I would never make any real money as a gym instructor and making money is important to me.

Since going independent, I have learned so much.  First of all, numbers matter but only after quality has been in place.  I have not come close to having the numbers that I had at either gym because now I am more than a fitness instructor, I am a business owner.  This first 6 months has been spent learning how to do what I have never had to do so regularly:  Find students.  Also, I have had to create a method of operating to keep myself organized on the administrative side of a fitness business.

There is no question that I am at the least a good teacher.  I teach well AND I help people get results in their health and fitness.  So what use to be important which seemed to only be the number that I wrote in the gym instructor book has now evolved to something totally different.  I am being stretched into the person who I know I was born to be.  When people come to my classes and see small numbers, I no longer fret.  I smile and know that this is the best process that I have been part of in the fitness world.  I have built so many classes and know that I can do the same with this one.  I just need time and time I have.

But more than growing myself as a fitness instructor, I get to grow as a fitness professional as well as a small business owner.  As Maya Angelou once wrote, "I wouldn't take nothing for this journey."  I am so excited about the success that lies ahead of me and give thanks the process has been a little slower than I expected because now I truly get to watch it unfold.

Giving thanks this morning.  I love that I get to live my destiny in this way.  <3 br="">


No comments:

Post a Comment